Wednesday 16 October 2013

FURTHER ADVENTURES IN SILK AQUA TINT

The class at Hampen have been very excited about the results of silk aqua tint plates this term.
Allsorts of things have been painted and dribbled onto chiffon plates to create tonal variations, from Hammerite to Bostike. Inking them up in one colour has shown the variety of marks that can be achieved.
But this week the plates have been inked up using simultaneous colour printing.
This was a method of inking intaglio plates developed by Stanley William Hayter. Also known as viscosity inking.
The process gives a rich exciting look to the work.
 
From simple intaglio inking,
to the addition of simultaneous colour printing.
The difference from one method
to the other is amazing, making work rich and three dimensional.
Simple yet effective. I can't wait to see what the group will develop next.
 
I am running a 2 day silk aqua tint workshop 9-10 November, there are now 2 places left.

3 comments:

Sharmon Davidson said...

I'm not sure what hammerite or bostike are, but the results are wonderful! I wish I could be there to learn about this.

LAC EMP 2020 said...

I made two sample plates and printed one the other day. It was not too successful so I must have missed a step somewhere! Looking forward to finding out what that step was in the workshop. Getting really excited at the prospect. If I get anything half as good as these I shall be happy. The group is producing some fascinating prints and the knowledge that it's another technique to use with viscosity inking makes my pulse race a bit faster.....

jo abela said...

Hello, I have tried viscosity printing once in the past but would be interested to know what inks you use with your group and what you mix with the inks to create the different viscosities?
It also would be great to know when/where your weekend next course will be?
Thanks, Jo