Thursday 11 September 2014

A PRINT A MONTH!

I have always thought the more you do, the more you do! I made a commitment to making a print a month. Of course this means coming up with ideas and making drawings, then making collagraph plates and printing editions. This discipline seems to be having a positive effect on me.
This month I have created this suite of prints about
little birds on washing lines.
I have been playing with very simple plate making, just using glue and cut grey board.
The washing is made from 'skim and repair' with
wall paper pressed into it.
I am still teetering on the brink...should I leave the washing as an embossed texture allowing the light to pick up the pattern or shall I ink and print these plates? What do you prefer? Let me know, it's always good to hear from you.

8 comments:

mycuriousteaparty said...

I quite like the white washing. It keeps the print clean and fresh. Sorry, sounds like a washing powder advert. Much too late to be typing, almost 11.30pm.

Jacqui Holmgren said...

I love the white washing with that gorgeous texture, great contrast to the birds. Lovely prints!

Fiona Dempster said...

I love the white embossing - I always do!

LAC EMP 2020 said...

I am a devotee of embossing but I think I'd have to sacrifice one plate and try it inked up as well so I could see both.Whatever the decision you'll make the right one as usual I'm sure! Coming up to Crucible on Tuesday and Ciren on Wednesday. So looking forward to seeing the cathedral again and this exhibition - all thanks to you and your post.

Wendy Rhodes said...

I'd go with printed material and try a print with inked up washing, but I'd use such a light tone that it would only appear that the shadows had been enhanced - would very pale viscosity inked plates achieve this?
Lovely prints, you're always so productive. x

Jan Ward said...

As always you have blown my mind with your latest prints. I love the white. It would be easy to stop there because they are perfect just the way they are. However, won't you always wonder what they might have looked like in color? What if it was a tiny little spot of color or a pale wash - something to push you into the unknown.

Mrs Bertimus said...

Beautiful work x

Kim said...

Definitely leave it, they are very beautiful x