Monday 17 February 2014

KING OF THE BIRDS, COLLAGRAPH.

With the weather being so awful it is a relief that my studio is just down the garden with no wading!
So I have spent time on an image that has been in my head for months. This is my take on the old story of how the wren became king of the birds and an excuse to include images of my favourite birds.
 
From the drawing stage comes the plate making, using tile cement and carborundum to create tones and textures.
Tile cement allows me to press real feathers into the birds and the carborundom gives that rich black needed for crows.
The red breast, label and gold crown are added later.
Waiting for these to dry and have details added, they are destined for, Moss Prints, Cheltenham. Junction Gallery, Woodstock. Church House Designs, Congresbury, nr. Bristol and Sky Blue Gallery and Framing, Bristol.
 

4 comments:

Wendy Rhodes said...

This is a great print, the story is really appealing, wouldn't it be a great piece to have around when children are little?x

Anonymous said...

Please can you let me know if this is available to buy? My name is Robyn and my email address is robynfeathered@gmail.com

Carmen said...

Just so beautiful. Images like yours make me fascinated with the printing process.

Just discovered you via Pinterest (also just spotted your copyright statement - I had re-pinned this to my bird board. Please let me know if you would like me to un-pin) and like Robyn would also love to know if you have a link where we can buy prints? I have an email attached to this profile.

Am now off to google the story ;)

RH Carpenter said...

Beautiful work!