Sunday 17 August 2014

BUS MANS HOLIDAY...AUGUST OF FUN.

Now as you know I don't usually do posts about me, exactly, I chat about my work and classes, but during August I have been having a bit of a break to recharge the creative batteries. The lovely Mr Brown and I had a little trip to Yorkshire. The weather was kind and Yorkshire is a fantastic place to visit. We started off at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
There we came across the most fantastic exhibition of work by Ursula Von Rydingsvard
I staged an intervention with this figure by Elizabeth Frink.
The lovely Mr Brown and I had fun trying to find this Gormley.
There is just so much to see and the walking was glorious.
There was still a great deal of evidence of the
Tour de France around the towns and villages.
We enjoyed a gothic moment in Whitby and did some fantastic moorland walks.
We returned via the Wakefield Hepworth Museum.
Enjoying a further sculpture fix
where there were extraordinary things to see. 
We have a Barbara Hepworth in Cheltenham,(did you wonder what I was about to say there?)
 really interesting to see the original designs for that. 
We also took the opportunity to stage another intervention with this work
by Allan Kaprow called Yard.
Another highlight in August is the St Christopher's Garden Club Summer Show. We have been active members for some time and enter a few things, not always successfully, but with enthusiasm. Here are my prize winning garden cup cakes.
It is all a bit like the Archers summer show with classes for flowers, veg, floral and domestic.
This was the winner of the novelty container, surprising what
 can be found on a dog walk, well done Barbara.
My orchid came second...the one on the top left hand side. 
The show has a lovely atmosphere.
We all do it for fun.
But like to win if possible.
The cakes, sweet peas and flowers make the church hall smell of childhood memories. 
Some times we are left with growing envy, my chard does not look like this.
And we do get some interesting entries. Melon/cucumber apparently?
The handicraft section was garden on a plate, any medium,
 so I couldn't resist a bit of crochet, alas not placed.
Next year I am going to encourage others to bake, grow and make for the show,
 you don't have to be a member to have a go, so if you are close
to Cheltenham or fancy a weekend in August 2015? Lets
see what you can come up with, you have a years worth of planning, so don't say you haven't been warned when I mention it in March!
I now have a long list of things to do after the Bank Holiday, but feel refreshed and recharged with still a few more days off to enjoy them.

3 comments:

Wendy Rhodes said...

What a great August you've had. The YSP and Hepworth both look good at the moment. Will need to look up Ursula Von Rydingsvard, that piece looked stunning. Well done on your garden show successes!

Anna said...

I really enjoyed your post, what a varied, fun time you've had!Great photos.

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Ah Whitby, a lovely place to visit and travel around. I'm heading your way soon so must get in touch. You can fill me with envy about YSP as it's yet another place on my wish list to visit!