Thursday 27 November 2014

GORGEOUS GUM ARABIC

This week has been the penultimate class. Everyone has become confident printmakers over the 9 weeks and stunning work has been produced.
We added Gum Arabic transfer to the printmaking methods learnt this term, applying the technique directly to dry collagraphs.
I have posted just a taster here as everyone produced gorgeous pieces and as I get so excited I tend to stop taking photos because I like to be there with the work and not behind a lens. 
Using this technique means that a photographic element
can be added to the composition without using nasty chemicals.
The transfer naturally incorporates into the composition because it uses the same ink.
I think it is difficult to tell where the print ends and the transfer begins.
I have to say it is one of the best things to teach, I love the look on everyone's face when a transfer has been successfully made.
And look you can do it on feathers too. Go to http://suebrownprintmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/gum-arabic-transfer-next-level.html for details on 4 colour separation using Gum Arabic Transfer, have fun!

3 comments:

Patricia G said...

Just great! I love the idea of printing on feathers too. Thank you for sharing your process.

Sharmon Davidson said...

Wow! these are so impressive - I just love the layering!

Kendra said...

Hi Sue, I am enjoying your prints. I am studying solar plate etching and some collagraph and want to learn more. There are so many techniques to try and learn!