Thursday 30 May 2013

IF IN DOUBT DRAW!!

Life has been somewhat unsettled of late...massive amounts of tidying and sorting getting my studio and house prepared for Cheltenham Open Studios. I find that this sort of activity mutes my creativity.
So for the last 2 days I have got stuck into the sketch book and allowed myself
to return to images of birds to get warmed up.
Working on pre prepared pages.
It then occurred to me it might be interesting to combine lost relative imagery
with my crows and moths.
Corvid, the bringers of mischief and life for some cultures.
Moths the symbol of death.
I could go on and on.
I am enjoying the playfulness combined with the eerie gothic quality 
these images have.
Must add some colour before it all gets too gloomy.

4 comments:

Wendy Rhodes said...

You have been busy, and very creative. The images remind me of reading about a mexican tradition whereby a person takes on an animal as a talisman on the day of their birth, something to do with the animal that they first come into contact with. I saw a photo once of a lady with iguanas on her head - iguanas were her birth animal, but they looked like a headdress. Such evocative images.

Sarah said...

I love what you have done here, unsettling in all the right ways :) I am hoping to get a chance to visit Cheltenham for the open studios, hopefully will be popping in to see you and your work

Liz Hill, irreverent Art said...

the birds are fabulous!

barbara@sparrowavenue said...

I love these ghost images caught in other bodies. Such a wonderful idea