Sunday 7 February 2016

WORKING WEEKEND

So what makes being an artist a profession and not a hobby? I always thought that a job was in the week and you got weekends off...but this is the second weekend I have worked. (I make sure I take days in lue in the week by the way) Don't get me wrong, I am not having a moan and I'm not looking for sympathy. I love my job.
So it's enamelling in the shed, with safety kit on. 
I am making more enamelled spoons for up and coming shows.
Let me introduce you to Kit Korner, pillar drill which saves me lots of time and energy, Bertha the bandsaw and a tray full of my soldering equipment, a new toy which I am thrilled with.
I use new steel spoons, holes drilled, annealed in the kiln, then soaked in hydrochloric acid prepares the steel to take the enamel. 
I have spot welded moths onto some of the spoons, yes there is another corner with kit!
The spoons are then grip coated,
a stage you have to go through with steel to allow the enamel to stick.
It's really, hot, hot, hot!
And there we have it, after 2 days work the spoons
are now ready to take transfers and be fired a couple more times. Yes, all the spoons get 4-5 firings. The question is what do I do on a day off? What is the shape of your working week, proper hours, ring fenced days, is self employment flexible or more ridged than having a boss?

4 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

NICE post!

hens teeth said...

Hi Sue ... very interesting to see how much hard work, time and energy goes into your fabulous work. Like you, I work 5,6,7 days a week, but don't really view as work, as I enjoy what I do so much. x

Unknown said...

Hi Sue, I recently discovered your work. Where and when is your next exhibition?

Thank you x

Sue Brown said...

I will be at The Contemporary craft Exhibition at Bovey Tracey in June, http://www.craftsatboveytracey.co.uk/ for details.