Saturday 30 December 2017

GOOD BYE 2017

I appreciate that Christmas can be an overwhelming time, sometimes the culmination of a difficult year. We all expect a great deal from the festive season, I know I put myself under more pressure than I need to. From decorating the house, finding the ideal gifts (sometimes making them) and cooking heart warming food. This year I added pressure by filling empty crackers because I couldn't bear the rubbish in bought ones. But looking back on my Christmas just 3 days after everyone has gone home, I realise that I choose to do it this way and probably could not do it any other way.
A few things have been different this year. Rudolf had a frosty, wintry look about him and he hung front and center over the fire place.  
My eldest son threw himself into creating, culminating in a wreath making session with his girlfriend. He has ended the year with the discovery of pompom making, can't wait to see where that leads.
The whole family pitched in this year, helping with decorating and cooking. Daughter and youngest son delighted us with winterslaw, and chocolate salami. Fabulous.
All around the house are reminders of making Christmas pasts. I had a year where I could not stop making crochet snow flakes and stars, that garland kept me company in the kitchen.
This year saw the second family bauble challenge. I found these hanging jars in Hobby Craft in November. We all made one including my sons girlfriends and arty chums. I have to say I know what next years task will be!!!
Yes Father Christmas still comes to visit my 3! There is always a making kit in their stockings. When they were small it was to keep them busy while lunch was being cooked and it still has the same purpose even though they are in their 20's. Christmas morning found them making a fridge magnet with the pack of Magnet paper from Tyger. Spot the pompoms? 
One of my greatest joys at Christmas is the fairy swap I make with my chum and talented artist friend Caroline McCatty. I think this is swap 14. We decide the theme at the point of swapping, so next years fairy is decided...!!! This year I have to admit was my choice, Forensic Fairy, yes we try to alliterate and this was not an easy theme to portray in fairy form. Mind you last years Film Noire Fairy caused me problems. These fairy's look great together, it shows how different we are, forensic gloves being key to one and macabre science body parts in the other. As usual I feel so lucky to be owning my fairy and will treasure it, thank you so much Caroline.
Can you guess who made which?!!

Thank you everyone who has followed, supported, come on workshops or poppped into the yard:ARTspace, bought my work and just been there for me in 2017. 
Here is to a creative and exciting 2018.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL! 





No comments: